Partial-Load Faculty Benefit FAQ

Q: Where can I find updated forms and information about filing paper claims with SunLife?

A: Login to the myFanshawe portal. You may need to type Fanshawe\ in front of your username in order to login. Under Employee Services–>Human Resources–>Benefits and Compensation–>Benefits Information on the “Benefits General” tab you will find forms and instructions.

We encourage you to enroll in the benefit plan without delay if you have not already done so. In addition to bargaining hourly pay rates for partial load teachers that far exceed the rates paid to non-unionized part time teachers, we have bargained an extended health plan that is 100 per cent paid. If you have a spouse with a health plan, you may use the “Coordination of benefits” provision to pay for all or most of the expenses not paid by your spouse’s plan.  The College is obligated to notify you of your eligibility.  You should receive a notice from Benefits and Compensation at Fanshawe (email), with detailed information regarding your eligibility.


Q: How do I file SunLife claims electronically?

A: If you have not already done so, you may register for an Access ID and password to logon to the Sun Life Plan Member Services website at Once registered, you will be able to:

  • Have claim payments deposited directly into your bank account
  • Update your personal information and address
  • Print personalized claim forms
  • View and/or print details of your claims
  • Print pay-direct prescription cards
  • Print out-of-province travel cards
  • Check the status of your recent health and dental claims


Q: What if I need to appeal a SunLife decision?

A:  SunLife decisions can be appealed through the Joint Insurance Committee (JIC). You can contact the Local and we will guide you through the process.


Sick Leave (Short Term Disability)

Q: I’ve heard about being contacted by LifeWorks (formerly Morneau Shepell) when sick. How does that work?

A: Fanshawe College requires medical documentation when someone has been absent for five consecutive days. They have contracted out this process to Morneau Shepell. It is important to note that as an agent of the College, Shepell is not entitled to any more information than the employer is entitled to.


Q: If I have been contacted by LifeWorks, what should I keep in mind?

A: You may find these documents helpful:

Talking To Your Doctor.pdf
What medical information is the employer entitled to.pdf