Job Posting – Executive Assistant
OPSEU/SEFPO Local 110
This is a guide: some details may change based on the needs of the employer
Due to retirement, OPSEU/SEFPO Local 110 – Fanshawe College Faculty Union has a challenging and varied position, supporting a busy operation through reception, document production in Microsoft Office applications, records management, database updates, meeting and travel arrangements and accounting support. As a key player in the operations of the Local, we require a proactive and motivated productive, organized, personable individual with exceptional time management, member relations, problem solving, and teamwork skills.
The individual must be able to work independently, follow guidelines and / or specific instructions, and demonstrate a high level of discretion and sound judgment. Knowledge of, or background in, unionized environments is desirable. We are looking for someone who is passionate about labour and equity issues.
OPSEU/SEFPO Local 110 represents over one thousand full-time and partial-load Professors, Counsellors, and Librarians working at Fanshawe College in London and surrounding areas. Local 110 is governed by six elected executive Officers and thirty elected union Stewards. The Executive Assistant reports to the Local President.
Provide administrative support to Officers of Local 110 to ensure effective and efficient office operations. Duties include taking initiative for positive relationship management, customer service, administrative support, and project-based work in consultation with the Local 110 officers.
- Setup, coordinate and take notes for meetings, training sessions, conferences, etc. as requested.
- Prepare and maintain agendas and minutes for various committees.
- Maintain electronic calendar for the Officers.
- Coordinate workflow, checking progress to deadlines.
- Create and modify documents through first drafts to final editing/proofreading.
- Develop spreadsheets, presentations, reports.
- Maintain confidential databases (e.g., email lists) and upload web materials.
- Support Officers in assigned project-based work.
- Welcome and meet with members and visitors, arrange appointments.
- Maintain filing systems (hard copy and electronic) including maintenance of membership records, faculty workload files, grievance, and arbitration records.
- Responsible for office operations including coordination of repairs/maintenance, cleaning, purchases of office supplies within budgets and needs, and research of asset purchases and prices as directed. Responsible for ensuring office is tidy on a daily basis.
- Coordinate and maintain office keys.
- Basic data collection – gather information in preparation for meetings, grievances and arbitrations as requested.
- Take initiative on administrative tasks – ensuring “exception reporting” when handling new situations. Seek opportunities for work-related education and identify areas outside current range of expertise.
- Report and follow through on all assigned tasks – ensuring that clear communication is maintained between Officers and Administrative Assistant. Communicate regularly with supervisor as to issues or needs that may arise.
- Answer phones, take messages and refer requests to appropriate Officer when required.
- Perform clerical duties including: photocopying, faxing, mail, shredding and filing.
- Occasional travel as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ontario College diploma or equivalent is required.
- Completion of educational courses offered by a union prior to hiring would be highly beneficial. Once hired, professional development and union education may be required.
HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
- Local 110’s office is located inside the Fanshawe College campus at 1001 Fanshawe College Blvd. The successful applicant should be prepared to work onsite or remotely as needed.
- The successful applicant must adhere to Fanshawe College policies regarding health and safety that apply to “contractors” while working on the campus.
- Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition of employment.
- Drivers’ licence and auto insurance rider required, may be required to deliver materials at times.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- 5 years of experience as an administrative assistant, working with senior management, preferred.
- Duties require strong professional and positive interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and flexibility.
- Extensive software and Internet research skills are essential. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, telephone protocol, virtual meetings, and the ability to type 55 wpm are required.
- Exceptional organizational and record keeping skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a strong ability to prioritize and maintain multiple schedules.
- Utmost discretion, integrity, and confidentiality in dealing with all matters, Union and/or otherwise is expected.
- Experience working in a diverse, unionized work environment is an asset.
- This is a permanent position, 35-44 hours per week, with the possibility of extra hours as directed to attend meetings and complete projects. Additional hours may be required during a strike or lockout of the bargaining unit.
- Normal hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9am – 4pm, Tuesday and Thursday from 11am – 6pm.
- This schedule is subject to change per academic term and may also vary due to operational requirements. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- The position is approximately 10 months per year following the academic calendar (September to June), with the possibility of special projects that may extend the work period.
- 7-10 days off over the year-end holiday period
PAY AND BENEFITS
- Pay is $52,000 – $56,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Pay is prorated over 12 months
- This position has a probationary period of 6 months.
- Benefits are provided including paid leave days and a Health Spending Account (HSA).
- A pension plan is provided through CAAT Pension Plan.
- Full details are specified in the employment contract.
Submit your application with covering letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, May 31, 2023. Position to start Monday, June 26, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
OPSEU/SEFPO Local 110 is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
OPSEU/SEFPO Local 110 provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, the hiring manager and the Recruitment Coordinator leading the recruitment will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.