For Members: Strike Instructions
All unionized Fanshawe faculty members are on strike as of 12:01 AM on Monday 16 October. Members should arrive at the picket positions and times you signed up for (or other assigned strike duties, if you have them). Should something come up that requires you to miss or change a shift, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Institution Letters
OPSEU First Vice-President/Treasurer Eduardo (Eddy) Almeida has written to all major banks and credit unions asking for their cooperation for OPSEU college faculty members that require assistance with loan payments for the duration of the strike: https://opseu.org/news/letters-major-financial-institutions-regarding-caat-strike
We recommend that all faculty members monitor their personal email.
Contacting Local 110 During a Strike
If we go on strike, please do not call 519-452-4205. This is a Fanshawe phone number, and as of the strike date, we will not be able to answer calls to or monitor any voicemails left at this number.
OPSEU has set up a number that members and the public can call for recorded updates: 1-844-661-5433.
To contact the Local during a strike, use one of the following methods:
- Email email@example.com. Our Executive Assistant and several Local Officers all monitor this email address. If your request is urgent, please put URGENT in the subject line
- Submit your question through our website: www.opseu110.ca/contact/
- Speak to your picket captain during your picket shift
- Visit 520 First Street, Unit 22 and speak to whoever is on duty. This office will generally be staffed from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM during a strike. For logistical reasons, however, we prefer that inquiries be sent to us via email when possible
During a strike, members should not enter Fanshawe College premises for any reason, including parking. Members should not access any Fanshawe College resources/IT infrastructure, including Fanshawe email, Fanshawe Online, or the Employee Portal.
We recommend that members use public transit or carpools during a strike, if possible.
Parking Options: 1001 Fanshawe College BLVD (Oxford Street Campus) and Z Building
We recommend that members requiring parking leave well in advance of their shifts to locate parking spots.
Because members cannot park on College property during a strike, the Union has secured parking spaces behind a business on First Street. This business, called DriveTime, is located at 416 First Street: parking spaces are in the rear of the building. From there, it is a short walk to our strike headquarters at 520 First Street, Unit 22 (Unit 22 is the last unit in the back). From there, members can walk to 1001 Fanshawe College BLVD. On request, vehicles will also be available to shuttle members to their picket lines.
We also have permission to park at the Eagles Hall at 500 First Street during the morning.
Please note that parking at strike headquarters is reserved for people running shuttles and supplies to our various picketing locations.
Other parking may be available around the College. Because the Union cannot authorize members to park on anyone else’s property, members should note that parking is at their own risk.
Possible other parking options include (but are not limited to) the following:
- public streets around picketing locations, as permitted by law.
- various parking lots and businesses around 1001 Fanshawe College BLVD/Z Building (i.e., Highbury, Oxford, and so on).
- NOTE: we do not recommend parking at the Oxbury Mall at the corner of Oxford and Highbury. We have information that parking there is exclusively for patrons of the mall and that this rule is strictly enforced.
Parking Options in St. Thomas and Woodstock
If you are unsure where to park at these campuses, we suggest contacting your picket captains at these sites to discuss parking options.